Wednesday 25 September 2019

Moving Away.... Again

I PUT ON MY BIG GIRL PANTS. 


In 3 years I have lived in 3 different places across the UK and each place getting further and further up north.
 Surrey to Cambridge to Manchester.
Each place completely different from the last and each place teaching me completely different things. 
Surrey taught me the main lessons in life, it's where I got my education and my first job, the place I learnt how to ride a bike and the place where I made my first friends.
Cambridge taught me how to be an adult with responsibility such as having a full time job and paying for a car that wants to breakdown so bad but I (more like my uncle) just won't let it.

And now Manchester. I haven't learnt how to ride a bike or had my first lesson on taxes but it's taught me what it's like to grow up. Not grow up in the boring sense but grow up in the sense that I have no family or friends (apart from Jenna who I moved with) so I need to learn to do things on my own. The scary case of getting myself out there and exploring an amazing city that has so much to offer.
I guess I am cheating a little bit because I have my best friend with me but I couldn't see myself here without her by my side or in this case in the room a floor below me.

We've only been here coming up to three weeks but already these three weeks have been the three weeks I've been dying for. Three weeks of exploring and meeting so many new people. Three weeks of sponging money on alcohol (sorry Dad) and dancing to Arctic Monkeys and Sam Fender. Three weeks of making my own dinners and maybe skipping a few for a nap instead (again sorry Dad) but these last few weeks have been nothing but fun, adventurous and to be completely honest.... fucking scary.

Being proud of myself is something I struggle to do but I'm not proud of myself, I'm proud of me and Jenna because we had a plan and we followed through. We came out of our comfort zones and moved to a place that we have wanted to be in for a long time. We have already made some amazing memories and I can't wait to see what the next three weeks, months or even (hopefully) years has to offer.

So from Surrey to Cambridge to Manchester.... moving away really isn't the difficult part its the waiting before. Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

(and to all my family members who have been worried about this since I mentioned it a few months ago.... I'm not dead yet so that's a good sign... right?)

Soph x

song of the blog: Moving on up - M people

No comments:

Post a Comment